28 weeks! Welcome to the third trimester.
Here are your bump pics.
The past week has been a little crazy. I went to the perinatologist, which includes an ultrasound. This happened. Happy Halloween, I guess.
Because what parent doesn’t want to memorialize that time their baby looked like a horror movie villain with no eyes?
All went well with the doc. My thyroid is the same, which means that it is fine. He is right on track and weighs 2.5 lbs. That’s weird because I’ve gained 15 lbs. and I would like to lay the blame directly on the baby, rather than the Tootsie Rolls.
I also saw the midwife for the first time. This merits its own post. It was the best possible decision for the pregnancy. I am so much more comfortable with her.
While the old doc was close to our house, he was not close to a place that sells not-Cronuts. (I don’t want to infringe on their mark, but I don’t know what to call them.) The midwife is about five minutes away from Pink Box Donuts. I decided to stop there and check it out. The pics on their site look incredible, and I like donuts.
When I got there, they were out of not-Cronuts and I ordered a half-dozen other treats.
Top row: Maple bacon bar, chipotle caramel, fat Elvis. Middle: Cookies n cream (described as a fried Oreo). Bottom: regular glazed chocolate cake (my very favorite donut) and sprinkles.
While I was checking out, they said there were more not-Cronuts in the oven and they would be done in about ten minutes. No question – I have wanted to try them for ages. [For a while, I wondered if all of the most wonderful foods have already been invented and there would never be a new and delicious dessert to try. Then I heard about the Cronut and realized that they could innovate. (Croissants are my favorite, so the idea of them turning it into a donut was a delightful idea.)]
I got six of them and raced home. I love the not-Cronut so much. It was fantastic.
Robin asked me to make a video with a play-by-play of the not-Cronut experience. This was the result.
Yay for third trimester. Yay for the midwife. Yay for the not-Cronut. I’m a very happy pregnant lady.
Now, let’s move to this week’s bullet points.
- I have always considered myself to be a very hairy blonde yeti lady. I was wrong. Because then, I didn’t have a lady beard and stache. Now I do. The rest of me has more fur than my cats. (Bending to shave my legs is getting harder and harder. This can’t possibly end well.) I am too cheap to go for waxing, so I am just dealing with it and hoping that people don’t get too close and then startled when they notice. I really can’t wait for the furry stage to end. (I assume that happens with birth.) Even my husband was finally kind enough to admit that I am fuzzier than usual, although he wouldn’t admit to the lady beard and stache. (That was a relief because now I know I am not preg-lucinating.)
- Last week, I engaged in baby-related crafting. I don’t craft. Ever. It’s not my thing. I’m not good at it. Nesting makes people do weird stuff.
- This week, Kicky McKickerson has started concentrating his efforts on my right kidney. At the same time, he still manages to be on my lungs, stealing my breath, like cats in legends.
- He’s also starting to move down. My sciatic nerve is apparently super comfortable and he likes to rest there. I assumed that this would lead to some sort of medically necessary amputation. My very patient husband explained that nerves and blood-carrying tubes are different, and that I would not need an amputation due to lack of blood flow. I was relieved, but still annoyed that my leg is constantly numb.
- The clothes that I bought at Motherhood Maternity are not holding up well. I bought two pairs of leggings and I haven’t worn them much and they are becoming naked see-through leggings. Not happy since I paid full price. I may suck it up and try to find a decent quality pair because it’s Vegas fall and it might be too cold for dresses someday.
- The Breaking Bad finale was awesome. The baby kicked and kicked, so I think he liked it too. Or he had the hiccups. I’m going with the version where he was excited about the show. (Because he can see whatever I see and can read my mind.)
- Since it’s Vegas fall and the weather is now in the 70s/80s regularly, I can happily go back to my weekly routine of making giant vats of soup. This is a very satisfying pregnant lady lunch, along with some crackers. (It’s chicken and brown rice soup – nothing fancy.)
- I went to Costco this weekend and one of the samples was half an ice cream sandwich. Of course I stood in that line and punched this tween who tried to cut in front of me. Okay, I didn’t punch him because people around here are litigious and our cops are very shooty (yes, it was that Costco), so I cut him with my eyes. Tweens, do not steal the samples intended for an irrational pregnant lady. (Even if she gets the next one.)
- Other than stocking up on diapers and baby toiletries, I think we are done getting baby stuff, other than the monitor. Since we’re going to try baby-wearing, I don’t know how much we will need a stroller, so that isn’t super high on my list. (Or, my strong husband can carry him everywhere in that oh-so-portable car seat.)
Let’s end today with a couple of lists. (Yes, that was a list. I get that. But these are themed lists, which are different and notable.)
First, this is my list of favorite things in the house, in the order in which I love them most.
- Tootsie Rolls
- Epsom Salt
- My favorite hair ties
Next, my least favorite things in the house.
- Seating that isn’t Lancer
- Whatever is living in my sinuses and won’t get out
- The new tissues that I bought 48 boxes of without trying them (they just aren’t thick enough)
- My backyard that does not have an alpaca in it.